Commerce Customizable Products is another module that provides custom line item types like Commerce Custom Line Items, which I've shown before.
Our goal here is to sell a T-shirt with a customizable slogan on it. This could be any customization, and there could be more than one field. Here's how we do it:
- Enable Commerce Customizable Products.
- Create a custom line item type which will have the extra field. (We wouldn't have to do this if all products in our store had this customization.)
- Add the field to the new line item type. In this case it's a text field called "slogan".
- Create a special product display content type (with a product reference field) so that we can configure the display settings on the product reference field.
- Configure the display settings to use our custom line item type (and tell it not to try to combine like items in the cart).
- Create product and product display node to try it out.
For extra credit in the video we add the new field to the cart view, and even give the customer the option to edit it in the cart view by using the excellent Editable Fields module.
Here's the screencast:
Customize the cart with table settings
You can tell the shopping cart to hide empty columns in the view table settings :)
I tried to follow this tutorial
But instead of using the custom line items module, using customizable products, because one the module page it recommends to.
My problem is I can't get the product price to update using the technique in this tutorial. Any suggestions?
How to make text area bigger
Hi Randy, thanks for great tut. Is there a way I can make the text-area bigger en self-enlarging? My users must enter a lot of different info and the text area wants you to enter everything on one line.
Line item textarea
Hennie - Great question! At 3:19 in the video randy is adding a field to his line item type. It's important to note that you are not required to add simply a text field. You can add any kind of field that you can install. For example, you could add an address field, a phone number field, or, for your case, a textarea field instead of a text field.
Let us know if that helps!
Add new comment